Tuesday, January 22, 2008

what's cooking wednesday - johnny's grub rub

WCWjpg


I'm not going to lie to you folks. I have no idea who Johnny is. I mean I have an Uncle Johnny, but I don't think this is him since I got this recipe off allrecipes, so who knows. I will tell you this though, that Johnny was something of a genius because this spice blend of his is out of this world and this is how I know. Mike is a real purist when it comes to steak. He doesn't like anything to get int he way of the taste of the meat which means no spices or *gasp* HP sauce. Well one night I whipped up a batch of this and put it on his steak and he was in heaven. I've also used it very successfully on drunken chicken and sprinkled it on grilled vegetables.

Now you may remember that last year my brother challenged me to make each other Christmas presents to cut down on the cost of Christmas. Since I enjoyed it so much last year I thought I'd give it a go again this year and the grub rub was his gift. I also made it for some of my other favourite foodies and I can't wait to hear how they all like it. It's not to early for barbecue season is it?

johnny's grub rub


Johnny's Grub Rub

1 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp mustard powder
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp brown sugar
4 tbsp ground paprika
1/2 tsp oregano

In a small bowl combine the seasonings. Mix well and apply as a spice rub to meat before grilling.

Recipe Notes: I don't actually measure out the pepper, I just keep grinding until it looks like enough. I also cut the cumin in half, Mike has this thing with cumin, but he's usually good with half the amount. That's pretty much it.




What is What's Cooking Wednesday and how can I play?

What's cooking Wednesday was born out of a desire to get out of that what's for dinner rut. Playing is easy, on Wednesday post a recipe that has been tried and tested by you and then pop over here and add your name to the Mr. Linky. When entering your name also add the name of the recipe in brackets and make sure you link to your What's Cooking Wednesday post and not just your blog's front page. And don't forget to link back here, the home of What's Cooking Wednesday.

So for example I would write Shan (Speedy Chicken Stir Fry) in the name section. For the URL section I would post this: http://shanrev.blogspot.com/2007/10/whats-cooking-wednesday-speedy-chicken.html

I'll let you in on a little secret. Much to Kaffy's chagrin, my WCW recipes are almost never made on a Wednesday. So feel free to cook and photograph whenever you have time and join us posting on Wednesday.

4 comments:

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Mmmm...definitely looks like something we could get with here. Thanks for sharing the rub ;)

Jen said...

Wow! This looks great, Shan. I'm definitely going to mix some up.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! I guess with not living in the five mile radius, "sigh" I'll have to make my own! :)

qualcosa di bello said...

cool spice combo with a very cool name!!