Sunday, February 03, 2008

gamma

Maya's vocabulary continues to grow daily. It's always interesting to see what's going to pop out of her mouth next. Like this morning we discovered that she could finally say Grandma, which sounds a bit more like Gamma, but it's closer than she's ever been before. How we discovered this was at church. Grandma Linda is in the choir and is only really visible to us when she is standing and singing. Her seat in the choir puts the organ directly between us which is what prompted Maya to ask loudly and repetitively, I might add, "where'd Gamma go?" Grandma Linda helpfully, whenever she heard Maya, would peek around the corner of the organ and wave turning into one heck of a fun game for Maya. Thankfully we have an extremely tolerate Minister and an older congregation who look about my noisy little girl with indulgent smiles. At least I think that's what they're doing and if they aren't, I don't want to know about it.

You see we are "that family" at church. The ones who's kids talk through the service. The one who's kids bust the bulbs out of the electric candles during candlelit services. It causes me mild anxiety because our kids are the youngest ones there any given Sunday. Meaning if you're hearing a little voice in church you know exactly who's responsible for it. The first thing I always do when I arrive at church is scan the program to find out how long I'll be sitting anxiously on the edge of my seat before the girls head out for Sunday school/nursery. Then I say a quick prayer that we'll get there with few disturbances from our pew. Turns out I'm not the only one longing for the children's portion of the service.

This morning our Minister announced that following the next hymn she was going to invite the children up to the front. An announcement that brought a very loud YAY! from Maya and some hopefully indulgent laughter from the rest of the congregation.

2 comments:

Kellan said...

Our church does this - has the children go to the front to sit with the Preacher for a five minute thing - it's very cool - they love it. Cute story and I like the name Gamma - she maybe should just be Gamma! Have a good Monday - see you later. Kellan

Leah said...

awwww, I'll bet Grandma LOVES hearing that little "gamma" come out of Maya's mouth! How sweet!