Saturday, February 23, 2008

measure twice, knit once

Well I'm not what I'd call a world class knitter yet, but I'm plugging along. I can whip off a plain jane scarf in no time flat and my hats are coming along quite nicely as well. So far I haven't felt a great urge to branch out too far. A lot of it still seems pretty intimidating. So I'm going to try funkier scarves and hats and ease myself into the more involved projects.

Not long ago Abby had asked me if I could make her a pink hat with my "sewing sticks" as she calls them. Even though I hadn't made a child sized hat yet, I figured it wouldn't be too hard to knit one up for her. So I measured her head and checked my pattern, cast on my stitches and began knitting. I just finished it last week and well it appears that there is a bit of a learning curve to this whole knitting thing because the hat, well have you ever seen the cartoon The Family Guy? You know the daughter, Meg and that little beanie type hat she wears. Well this hat looked like that.

When we put it on *Maya*.


2008-02-19 004


So yeah, something was amiss with all the measuring and figuring I did. Abby thinks my mistake is the funniest thing ever and Maya loves the hat so much she's been known to have a fit if you take it away from her. Abby hat, attempt number two is under way. Hopefully things will turn out better this time.

4 comments:

roxie said...

I like to make hats with a k2,p2 rib. It allows an enormous fudgefactor for varying head sizes and stitch gauges.

Kellan said...

How funny are you!? I love the little beany hat - it looks adorable on her. I guess she'd look adorable in just about anything, though! See ya - Kellan

meg said...

Hey I didn't realize that you knit too. I don't get to check out your blog very often because we only have dial up...can't get high speed in the Muskoka sticks yet. Your blog is way cooler than mine.

Shan said...

Roxie - thanks, that's good to know.

Kellan - yes it does. And she loves it so it wasn't a total disaster.

Meg - aww thanks, you're going to make me blush.