Tuesday, July 08, 2008

what's cooking wednesday - buffalo chicken burgers



I am not what you would call an adventurous cook. Well I should probably qualify that a bit. Let's take, for example, my lovely Darlene who can just throw a bunch of stuff in a pot and it will taste delicious. Me, I need the security of a recipe. I may use it as a jumping off point and tweak it a bit, but still I need that recipe card. So it was a bit of an odd experience to be grocery shopping and thinking..... hey I wonder if I could make a buffalo chicken burger? Before I knew it I was tossing stuff in the cart that I thought would work for making a buffalo chicken burger. And as it turns out I can make a buffalo chicken burger and a pretty darn good one too.


Picture. Okay there is no picture. And why, you ask? Well my camera is giving me the gears these days. I'm hoping it will be a little less annoying with some new batteries. So I apologize for the lack of photos, but, let's be honest here, it's a burger. I think you can imagine what it looked like.

Buffalo Chicken Burger

1 lb ground chicken (or turkey, it's your party... go nuts)
1 pkg Shake and Bake Original Crispy chicken coating
1 egg
a shake of celery salt
4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
1/4 - 1/2 cup buffalo chicken wing sauce

Mix ground chicken, shake and bake, egg, celery salt, bacon and wing sauce together until well mixed. Form into 4 patties. Let rest in the fridge for an hour or until they firm up. Grill on the barbecue until cooked all the way through.

Recipe Notes: Wow! This was a nice twist from the regular burgers we eat a lot of all summer. For our tastes I went with 1/2 cup of wing sauce and I think next time I'll up it again. The wing flavour was there, we'd just like more of it. We also found these burgers needed nothing really in the way of condiments. We just added a shmear of blue cheese dressing on the bun and it was good to go. Well will definitely be making this again. Not bad for a first attempt at throwing something together.



What is What's Cooking Wednesday and how can I play?

What's cooking Wednesday was born out of a desire to get out of that what's for dinner rut. Playing is easy, on Wednesday post a recipe that has been tried and tested by you and then pop over here and add your name to the Mr. Linky. When entering your name also add the name of the recipe in brackets and make sure you link to your What's Cooking Wednesday post and not just your blog's front page. And don't forget to link back here, the home of What's Cooking Wednesday.

So for example I would write Shan (Speedy Chicken Stir Fry) in the name section. For the URL section I would post this: http://shanrev.blogspot.com/2007/10/whats-cooking-wednesday-speedy-chicken.html

I'll let you in on a little secret. Much to Kaffy's chagrin, my WCW recipes are almost never made on a Wednesday. So feel free to cook and photograph whenever you have time and join us posting on Wednesday.

5 comments:

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Go Shan! Looks fabulous (yes, I can certainly picture it!) ;) Hope your camera starts behaving itself again soon....

Heather... said...

Yum!Sounds delicious... I'll definitely be trying this!

Kaci said...

Yumo!

Jen said...

Wow! That sounds soooooo.... good! One of my faves of your recipes was definitely the buffalo chicken soup, so I'm going to have to try these as well.

Shan said...

BE - I'm glad you could picture it.

Heather - They were so good.

Kaci - I concur!

Jen - Let me know how you like it.