Tuesday, September 02, 2008

what's cooking wednesday - cornmeal bacon waffles

Well the first day of first grade is behind us. You can read all about that tomorrow, with pictures I promise. I'll even throw in some pictures that Maya took for free. I mean I'd love to tell you all about it today and share with you the funky 70's inspired dress that Abby HAD to wear, but I have a schedule to follow here. What can I do? My hands are tied.

Since I've been trolling around the internet looking for recipes that let me use my waffle maker and my cornmeal, you have to know I was excited to find this one. Oh and operation show my old appliances some love so I can justify my desire for an ice cream maker is going great. The bread maker got some extra long lovin' today when I had it bang out 4 double batches of pizza dough. The freezer is stocked up baby!

cornbread waffles


Cornmeal Bacon Waffles

2 eggs
1 3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 lb thinly sliced bacon

Preheat your waffle iron.

In a small bowl mix together the eggs, milk and oil. In a large bowl stir together the flour, cornmeal, sugar and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in milk mixture. Stir until well blended.

Pour batter into your waffle maker according to manufacturers directions. Place a strip of bacon over the batter, across each section on the iron. Close lid and cook until steam is no longer coming out and waffle is golden brown.

Recipe Notes: Now the recipe actually called for a cheese sauce, which was basically heat up a jar of cheez whiz. That's just not something I can do. Don't get me wrong, cheez whiz has it's place... on toast, if you were wondering, but I can make a cheese sauce from scratch with my eyes closed, so that's what I did. Oh and the idea of putting raw bacon in there, well that just wasn't for me either, so I cooked mine first. Until it was about 3/4 of the way done anyway. Reviews were mixed on this one. Mike and I thought it was okay, but better without the cheese sauce. It kind of drowned out the taste of the waffle. Abby, however, loved it.... with Maple Syrup!! I was just so excited that she ate a new food that I immediately upped it's rating to a full five stars.




What is What's Cooking Wednesday and how can I play?

What's cooking Wednesday was born out of a desire to get out of that what's for dinner rut. Playing is easy, on Wednesday post a recipe that has been tried and tested by you and then pop over here and add your name to the Mr. Linky. When entering your name also add the name of the recipe in brackets and make sure you link to your What's Cooking Wednesday post and not just your blog's front page. And don't forget to link back here, the home of What's Cooking Wednesday.

So for example I would write Shan (Speedy Chicken Stir Fry) in the name section. For the URL section I would post this: http://shanrev.blogspot.com/2007/10/whats-cooking-wednesday-speedy-chicken.html

I'll let you in on a little secret. Much to Kaffy's chagrin, my WCW recipes are almost never made on a Wednesday. So feel free to cook and photograph whenever you have time and join us posting on Wednesday.

5 comments:

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

I'm definitely more of a sweet breakfast food person, so I think I'd be with Abby on this one...but I wouldn't mind some tortilla chips with that bacon and cheese sauce ;)

Unknown said...

This looks really good -- besides it has bacon. What isn't good with some nice crispy bacon?

Anonymous said...

Okay - I did this last week but finally got it posted on my blog :-) But now I just want to go and make your waffles!

Mommy Project said...

I still ~need~ a waffle iron...and the ice cream maker...and a food processor...and a juicer...and a pretty pink KitchenAid mixer...

You should post your recipe for cheese sauce! (I love cheese whiz on toast, especially in the fall for some reason. Comfort food, I guess).

Happy WCW!

Shan said...

Michelle - aww you're a girl after my own heart!

city girl - you are absolutely right!

michelle - welcome, enjoy the waffles.

normie - yes a food processor would be great! I'll send you the cheese sauce recipe. I've posted it here before.