Saturday, January 31, 2009

knowing me, knowing you #2

Time for the second installment of my monthly interview feature for both me and you, Knowing Me, Knowing You. I have to say I was very happy and surprised at the turn out for the first edition. Thanks to all who participated. And now for this round's questions.....

#1 What crafts/hobbies are you into?

Short answer - Too many.

Long Answer - I knit. I'm not setting the world on fire with it, but I sure can knit a fine scarf. I actually attempted to make something I had seen my Grandma make a lot of and it has turned out to be an unmitigated disaster. I am not happy with it at all. I wish she was here to show me what I am doing completely wrong. Ugh it's been ticking me off all night. Oh and I wish I knew how to crochet. Mom, wanna teach me?

I mess around with beads, making adorable book bracelets which are pretty much the best bookmarks ever invented. And bracelets. I'd like to give other stuff a try. Now to find the time to really pour over those magazines the Mommy Project lent me.

All of the sudden I'm scrapbooking (digitally) with a plan to do some actual do some actual paper stuff too. I know I said I wouldn't, but really how long could I legitimately resist? I also have lots of wood working projects in mind for Michael and I. And some super cute Christmas stuff. Oh and I want to get more creative with my baking/cooking. And there's probably other stuff I'm forgetting.

#2 What is your laundry strategy?

Aren't we all bogged down by the laundry? I don't know about you, but I do okay until the putting away part. Then I suck. I have a system that works with varying degrees of success. The pain in the ass is when it doesn't I have nobody to blame, but myself because I only need to be a little bit organized for it to work. Back when I was on maternity leave I used to do a load of laundry everyday, unless it was raining because I line dry my clothes. Then I realized the utter stupidity of a plan that had me doing laundry everyday. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to calculate that at that rate you had no possibilty of ever being caught up on your laundry.

So instead I shifted my major laundry day to the weekend. I will still throw a load or two in through the week, but the majoirty of it gets done on the weekend. I have four laundry baskets and the clothes get sorted thusly; Mike's, mine, the girls and linens. So the girl's clothes get washed together, dried together and folded and put together in the same basket. So I have one full basket of kid stuff going to kid rooms. Then repeat with mine and the linens (I don't do Mike's laundry because he's a fuss ass) Seems pretty simple, huh. Somehow I just can't seem to get through all the steps and will often still have full baskets of clean clothes the following weekend. So I'll have to take, literally, 10 minutes to put away last week's clothes and I won't put away this weekend's clothes because I already put away laundry and I really hate to do it again.

#3 You walk into a bank and there are people waiting ahead of you for an open teller. You step into place behind the last person waiting.... here's the question... are you waiting in line or are you waiting on line?

You're in line. The people ahead of you and behind you are forming a line. You are the line. I never understood how you were on line. I'm thinking this is a American thing, since I've heard this phrase on television shows, but I could be wrong.

#4 Do you Facebook?

Oh absolutely. I triple red puffy heart facebook (wanna be my friend?) With facebook I keep up with family I don't get the chance to see. I've reconnected with old friends and neighbours. I can continue to have fun with friends (by mocking them mostly). And I don't mind being creeped (hi Heather and Tracy) And for those of you who are lucky enough to be on Michael's friends list you know my ultimate joy is to highjack his status line. And because he loves me, he lets me. Either that or he can't figure out how to change his password.

#5 Where would you like to have a shopping spree and what would you buy?

Well ordinarily I would say Chapters, oh the Chick Lit books I would snatch up. And all the Marian Keyes. And some classics. And some canning books. Oh and Cookbooks. So many books. But I've really been bitten by the cooking/baking bug and again, so I've been pouring over Golda's Kitchen. Oh the things I would buy. Like the mini castle bundt pan. And the heart shaped mini cheesecake pan. And silicone baking cups. And cookie moulds. And mini silicone moulds. And canning stuff. I really want to give it a try this year, but will need to purchase all the equipment to get me going.




So now the rules, they're pretty simple. Post your answers to these questions on your own blog in the next few days. Remember to link back here in your post and sign the Mr. Linky too, so we can all see what you have to say. Please make sure you link to your actual KMKY post and not your blog's front page. Any front page links will be deleted. And most importantly, have fun!

7 comments:

Leah said...

the only "on line" phrase we use pertains to Internet use. for examplea: "I'm going to get online and do some blogging" Otherwise, we Americans get IN line at the bank just like everyone else. LOL Unless I'm big-time missing something.

Leah said...

ps I do know how to spell example, but as I was noticing the mistake, it was already too late. ha!

Betsy Hart said...

I JOINED IN!! Thanks for the post idea for today!

FaithChick said...

I love doing these! They are so much fun. I enjoy reading and learing about every one.

Shan said...

Leah - well that does make the most sense, but I swear to you I have heard people way their waiting online.

Betsy - thanks and you're welcome!

faith - Me too, good idea I came up with:)

Cristan said...

Ok, this may be a dumb question...but when you do your laundry by person, so you also separate by color? I'm trying to get a handle on our laundry (only 3 of us, but my hubby sometimes wears 3 outfits a day - he likes to exercise. A lot) Now I do whites, roughs (like jeans), blacks, and colors.

Shan said...

Cristan - No I don't separate by colour as a general rule. The kids wear next to no white. Their clothes are really a mix of yoga pants and long sleeve tees in the winter. A lot of skirts and leggings for Abby in the warmer months. To be honest there is very very little in the way of white clothing in our house. I've never had a problem with colour bleeding into other stuff.