Friday, March 27, 2009

friday high five - board games

Time again for a little Friday High Five, hosted by Angela's Adventures and Minor Mishaps.

My family wasn't big on board games growing up, but I've always loved them. So I decided when I had a family of my own I would make us a board game family. Now I will admit that sometimes these things can fall by the way side, but I try to remember to play often. Abby is already a huge board game fan and I can see Maya will be as well. So for today's Friday High Five I give you my favourite board games.

1) Anything from the Scene It family of games. We play Disney Scene It a lot. There are video clips to watch and questions to answer. This is also one of Abby's favourites. We also got the Seinfeld version for Christmas, but have yet to play it. I'm thinking I should set up a Seinfeld game night with my Seinfeld loving girls at work.

2) Scrabble. I love a good game of Scrabble. I play on facebook with random strangers and with friends. We play the junior addition with Abby and Super Scrabble on Scrabble Night with Grandma Sandi.

3) Trivial Pursuit. We hardly ever play this, since we really only play games as a family, but I have the pop culture version and the SNL version that I would love to play more often.

4) Cadoo. There's some charades, some drawing, some sculpting and the odd scavenger hunt thrown in. I highly recommend this for kids Abby's age-ish. We laugh like crazy playing this game.

5) Monopoly. But only when played by the house rules we came up with while playing with Mike's stepdad. It makes the game interesting right from the get go by dropping both property and cash in your lap.

7 comments:

Julie said...

I loved playing the Game of Life (original board version) when I was a kid. It was my absolute favorite. Scence It is a lot of fun, and I love reading trivia questions in the car when we go for long drives.

Angela said...

I love Checkers! We used to play it all the time when I was growing up. I am very good and very competitive so sadly my kids don't like to play it with me! How incredibly sad is that! I can still get a good game out of my dad though. I also like Memory and Uno! We also like to play cards and we often do trivia question books in the car. That is really fun b/c I know more of the answers so the KIDS think I am a genius!! ha!! thanks for joining in!

FaithChick said...

I love Cadoo! My lifegroup (a group of adults might I add) get together and play this. It is my favorite!

Kristina said...

I definitely want to know what the house rules are for Monopoly! I can only play that game with my sisters. My dad, my step-dad, and my husband are WAY too intense, and it's no fun to play with them. My sisters and I, on the other hand, do all sorts of wheeling and dealing for properties...sometimes we even trade personal items and favors. For example, "I'll give you Reading Railroad if you give me Baltic Avenue and empty the cat's litter box." For some reason, my husband hates it when we do that.

Betsy Hart said...

Cranium is also a fun group game, and catchphrase. :)

ContantFamily said...

If you kids love bingo get them zingo! They will love it.

Shan said...

Julie - I like the game of life too.

Angela - we play uno a fair bit as well. And I loved Memory when I was a kid.

Faith - cadoo is so much fun I don't blame you for playing:)

Kristina - they're pretty simple. We shuffle and deal out the properties and you have to pay 10% of their value to the bank. Then you start trying to make the best deals you can to complete your streets. We pay out $500 for passing go. So we build up the real estate on our streets fast. If you land on someone's property they have to notice before the next roll of the dice or you don't have to pay and don't think about squealing on someone -- that means you'll end up footing the bill. It's like Monoploy on fast forward.

Betsy - Yep Cranium is fun too, Cadoo is like the kid's version. Never played catchphrase before.

Contant - thanks I'll have to check that out.