Tuesday, May 19, 2009

what's cooking wednesday - cream cheese frosting

Well the "fair book" has been out for a little while now and I have been pouring over it trying to decide which categories I'd like to enter. I'll give you a hint -- all of them. That, of course, is a total pipe dream so I'm trying to limit myself to one or two items, especially in the baking categories. Too many entries equals a lot of work for myself the week of the fair. One baking category I am, for sure, set on is carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. I have a killer carrot cake recipe and an pretty good cream cheese frosting recipe, but I wanted a WOW cream cheese frosting recipe. So i nosed around the internet until I found this at allrecipes.

cream cheese frosting


Cream Cheese Frosting

2 (8oz) pkgs cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups sifted icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

In a medium bowl cream together the cream cheese and butter until creamy. Mix in the vanilla and then gradually stir in the icing sugar. Store in the refrigerator after use.

Recipe Notes: Here's the thing with cream cheese frosting, in most cases they lose a lot of that cream cheese tanginess. I'd like it to be a lot more reminiscent of cheese cake and this definitely fits the bill. Rumor has it this is also delicious eaten right out of the bowl with a spoon. And no, I'm not saying how I know that. I am hopeful this will be the winning combination and I'll take home that red ribbon this year.




What is What's Cooking Wednesday and how can I play?

What's cooking Wednesday was born out of a desire to get out of that what's for dinner rut. Playing is easy, on Wednesday post a recipe that has been tried and tested by you and then pop over here and add your name to the Mr. Linky. When entering your name also add the name of the recipe in brackets and make sure you link to your What's Cooking Wednesday post and not just your blog's front page. And don't forget to link back here, the home of What's Cooking Wednesday.

So for example I would write Shan (Speedy Chicken Stir Fry) in the name section. For the URL section I would post this: http://shanrev.blogspot.com/2007/10/whats-cooking-wednesday-speedy-chicken.html

I'll let you in on a little secret, my WCW recipes are almost never made on a Wednesday. So feel free to cook and photograph whenever you have time and join us posting on Wednesday

7 comments:

A Crafty Mom said...

Looks great - I think I'll try it, because I love cream cheese frosting too and only made it once - years ago.

I would LOVE to get your awesome carrot cake with frosting recipe though, I am a die hard fan and haven't made it in ages b/c my family doesn't love it like I do. Too bad for them!!!!

Mommy Project said...

I am drooling looking at that pic. and reading about it. I think I'm about to short-circuit my keyboard.

Eleonora Baldwin said...

Those look yummy, I have all the ingredients to make the perfect replica! For a savory summer soup, come by my little kitchen. Ciao Shan, happy wednesday

Merry said...

I'm with you...I have a killer carrot cake recipe but the frosting was just "meh". I will definitely be trying this. Thanks!

Karen said...

I'm suffering from baking-withdrawal so I'll just dream about these.

Shan said...

Crafty Mom - I'm sure the carrot cake will pop up here soon. I'll have to do a practice cake before the fair.

MP - Well Crafty Mom wants to recipe and you just clearly want to eat some cake. So how about I make my tester and we'll have cake and coffee one night very soon. My place our yours -- let me know:)

Lola - Did you make it? How did you like it?

Merry - Let me know when you try it.

Karen - Withdrawals are no fun!

Unknown said...

This are SO red ribbon worthy. :)