Sunday, January 09, 2011

back in the saddle

So it's been a month since I've done any kind of weight watchers tracking. A month that included me baking 100 dozen cookies, four Christmas dinners and one New Year's Eve food extravaganza. Oh and did I mention that I let two cases of grape pop in the house and y'all know how I feel about grape pop. Love it. It's the only pop I drink and it's usually a can or two a year, but this year I was an over achiever and drank my way through two cases. Although, I feel I should point out they were only 10 packs and not 12, so there's that. I can't say that I was surprised when I got on the scale last week and it registered that 4.6 of the pounds I had previously lost had made their way back to my ass. Actually, to be honest, I was surprised because I was really expecting it to be higher.

I'm not sure if you'd heard,but Weight Watchers has completely revamped their program. The new program launched just before Christmas and I made the decision to set it aside and continue with the old plan until things calmed down after the holidays. Yeah.... see the paragraph above to see how that worked out. It didn't. This was the week that Mike and I knew we had to sit down and figure out the new program. It was kind of discouraging to feel like we were starting from scratch all over again. There were lots of products that Mike and I had memorized the points for, so things like making breakfast were a breeze because we were aware, without having to look it up how many points it was costing us. Those days were over, for a little while anyway.

So with the new program, some things have a higher point value then they did before, but my daily points have increased... by four. Woo to the hoo. The good news, though is fruit is now free, so that's really helping to stretch the points budget. And I am happy to report that I've already knocked 1.1 pounds back off that holiday baggage.

One of my blogging besties, Merry wrote about losing weight this weekend too. Losing weight for the sake of vanity. Now I'd be lying if I were to say there isn't a healthy dose of vanity at play here, but more than that this is a health issue. I weigh too much, that is a fact. A fact, the Wii takes great pleasure in reminding me of every week went it puffs up my Mii while it's little voice squeaks out.... that's obese. Thanks soooo much. But it's true... hard to hear, but true. Now what I do have a problem with is what the Wii suggests a good weight for me may be 124 pounds. I really don't feel that is a realistic weight for me. I have no idea what a realistic weight is for me, but I feel like I'll know as I get closer.

In light of all of this we have been making the effort to talk about being healthy rather that just how much weight we lost in front of the girls. I'm taking the time to read and explain labels to them and what we should have a little bit of and what we should be eating the most of. Abby is the one I worry about the most, so we're adding more dance offs and talking more about how to make good food decisions. To her credit she's been good about trying new things, there hasn't been much she's liked, but she's tried... swiss cheese and hummus both got the thumbs down this week, but we aren't giving up. It's important to remember living healthier is not a static thing, there are ups and downs and you just gotta roll with it and keep doing the best you can.

3 comments:

Merry said...

Woo hoo minimal weight gain during the holidays. If there had been 100 dozen cookies around here there's no telling what would have happened!

You and Mike are doing such a great job & you are totally doing the right things with Abby & Maya. See that is exactly what I was trying to get across with my post. I'm not saying that weight loss isn't important but I think health is more important especially when we're talking to our kids.

Leah said...

how tall are you Shan? I'm 5'7" and people start telling me I look anorexic when I get near or below 135 lbs... I can't imagine pushing for 124 lbs!! 135 lbs is about where I like to be (definately not anorexic looking!), but sadly I'm hovering somewhere 10-15 lbs beyond that at this point, having recently even outgrown the pants size I'd worked hard to get into. And I still can't find the motivation to get into a better workout routine!

I wish you luck on the weight loss journey. It can be really hard, really stressful, and really discouraging at times, but you will totally rock it; I'm sure of it!

Shan said...

Merry - it's so tricky with kids. Abby has already had a kid at school call her fat and has cried that she wants to be small like her sister. I'm just doing my best and hoping like hell it's the right thing.

Leah - I'm 5'3, but I cannot imagine myself at 124. I'm not even trying for that number. It is so tough to find the time and more importantly the motivation when everything else in life is so busy. Thanks for the encouragement.