Tuesday, January 11, 2011

what's cooking wednesday - apple cinnamon syrup

ETA - In the recipe I typed out 6 cups unsweetened apple syrup when I actually meant 6 cups unsweetened apple juice.Oops!

For the past few years the general rule between Uncle Dave and I is that we have to make each other's Christmas presents. It's really not as easy as it sounds. Especially since I've used up all of my marketable skills. I've done cookies, canning, and made face cloths. Uncle Dave and Auntie Mel are tough because they are pretty granola, so I try to make the gifts something practical and useful rather than just giving them stuff. This year we allowed for things that were recycled, regifted, garage saled, value villaged or itunes gift card. Yeah Dave totally ignored the rules and dropped some itunes cash on Michael.


Now as you know Uncle Dave rocked it right out of the park and designed a logo and business card for my little baking biz. It makes me smile every time I think about it. In return we gave them our old home theater system, a book I thought they would both enjoy (previously read by me), some cookies, some red pepper jelly and................. apple cinnamon syrup.

This caught my eye as I was flipping through my Complete Book of Home Preserving. It looked easy enough and while it was still canning, which I'd done before, it was something I hadn't done before.

Apple Cinnamon Syrup

6 cups unsweetened apple juice - now the book says this is especially delicious when it's made from homemade apple juice.... so if you feel up to that, let me know how it works out for you. I just bought some
3 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
5 cups granulated sugar
4 cups water
3 cups corn syrup
1/4 cup lemon juice

1. Prepare canner, jars and lids.

2. In a large stainless steel pot, combine apple juice and cinnamon sticks. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat and boil gently for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

3. In a large stainless steel pot, combine sugar and water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar and cook until syrup reaches 230 degrees F. Add apple juice, cinnamon sticks and corn syrup. Return to a boil and boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and discard cinnamon sticks. Stir in lemon juice.

4. Ladle hot syrup into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip-tight.

5. Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil and process for 10 minutes. Remove canner lid, wait 10 minutes, then remove jars and cool.

Recipe Notes: This is so very yum. I had it on my french toast this weekend and it was fantastic. It was like liquid apple pie. And really if you wanted to give canning a try it doesn't require any special ingredients. It makes about six 500ml jars. If you are going to make this and you haven't had to boil something to a certain temperature (get a candy thermometer for that part) it takes longer than you think. So don't worry if it doesn't seem like anything is happening. It will get there. Promise.




What is What's Cooking Wednesday and how can I play?

What's cooking Wednesday was born out of a desire to get out of that what's for dinner rut. Playing is easy, on Wednesday post a recipe that has been tried and tested by you and then pop over here and add your name to the Mr. Linky. When entering your name also add the name of the recipe in brackets and make sure you link to your What's Cooking Wednesday post and not just your blog's front page. *All front page links will be deleted!* Don't make me be a jerk. And don't forget to link back here, the home of What's Cooking Wednesday.

So for example I would write Shan (Speedy Chicken Stir Fry) in the name section. For the URL section I would post this: http://shanrev.blogspot.com/2007/10/whats-cooking-wednesday-speedy-chicken.html

I'll let you in on a little secret, my WCW recipes are almost never made on a Wednesday. So feel free to cook and photograph whenever you have time and join us posting on Wednesday

4 comments:

Desi said...

I linked up my spicy chicken cakes w/ horseradish aioli. Thanks for hosting!

Deb said...

What is 6 cups unsweetened apple syrup? Did you use frozen apple juice straight out of the can (without adding water)? This sounds good!

Unknown said...

I have never heard of apple syrup, but it sounds good.

Shan said...

Okay folks I edited the recipe to state I used 6 cups of unsweetened apple juice. Must have nodded off when I was typing that one out.