Friday, February 25, 2011

the answer was all of the above

So I kind of left you hanging regarding about my multiple choice quiz from our time in Toronto, didn't I? It was not my intention, but I have been on tired Mama this week. I even slept through The Office and if you know my mad crazy love for that show, then you know that's a huge development. I mean Packer was on. So now I'll be forced to play fast and loose with my bandwidth cap and watch it online. Or perhaps I should finally get myself a PVR or a DVR or whatever you wanna call it.

But back to the quiz.... not sure what I'm talking about, you can get caught up here, go ahead, we'll wait....... okay, ready?

Story #1 - Maya gets sick at school.

True. Maya's recent infection and subsequent antibiotic use, left her more than a little bit blocked up, if you know what I mean. She made it part way through her school day before she became just too uncomfortable. Now I had been saying to Mike that I was feeling a little bit anxious about going away because the kids were spending one night with Grandma Sandi and one night with Granny and they had school in between, so we were counting everybody being where they needed to be when they needed to be there.

Then the school calls my cell.

So I called Granny, then Grandma Linda's house, then Grandma Linda's cell and got no answer anywhere. Got Papa on his cell and didn't tell him it was me, but instead started talking about how Maya wasn't well and had to be picked up, that I couldn't get Grandma Linda on the phone, but my Mom would pick her up later at their place if he could please go get her and I'd call the school back and tell them he was on his way. I found out later that he didn't know he was talking to me and couldn't figure out half of what I was talking about, but he did know someone had to go get Maya. And that someone ended up being Grandma Linda, who was sitting by the phone, but didn't answer my calls because she didn't recognize my cell phone number. Phew! It's enough to make an anxious Mom swear to never leave town without her kiddos again!

Story #2 - Only 1 bed for 3 people.

True. So very true. One night of the convention we were sharing a room with ML and then she had her own room for the next night. I wish you could have seen the look on Mike's face when the guy told us our room had one king bed and there wasn't another room with two double beds to be had in the entire hotel. A hotel of over 1300 rooms I might add. There was actually lots of problems checking in amongst the convention attendees this year. The guy at the wicket next to us was irate as he'd been waiting for his room to be ready for 5 hours. As a person in the customer service game I felt for the folks working the front desk. Anyway back to the bed issue after we realized there was nothing much to be done about the bed situation Mike turned to me and said... you're in the middle. So that's what we did. The bed was huge and each of us had enough room to sleep comfortably, there was no crowding.

I was the last one to use the bathroom before bed, I come out and Mike let me in the middle and turned out the lights. Once we were laying there, three in a row, I bust out laughing. Such a funny and yet absurd moment. All involved had a great night sleep. The Royal York has the best beds out of any hotel I have ever stayed in. The mattress, the pillows and the duvet are all top drawer. It's a pretty short list of folks I would be willing to let sleep with my husband and I, shorter even still is the list of folks we've actually done that with.... on the list, just ML.

Story #3 - Drunk girls on the subway.

Mostly true. Yes we were on the subway when a couple of party girls got on and started ripping the advertising signs down from above our heads. They specifically wanted the maps of the subway line. I should mention we were riding in the very first car, you know where the guy driving the subway sits. Since they were drunk they thought that would be a good place to start defacing the subway. Eventually a younger kid got up to tell the conductor what was going on and the girls started calling him some not so nice names while trying to look cool and be funny/witty which isn't easy to do when you're 23 and drunk off your face. Since they were ratted out they did the best thing they could think of which was to move their subway map stealing ways to the next car back... you know cuz none of us could see them. In the end the driver made a announcement over the PA system warning against the evils of thievery, which I'm pretty sure scared them straight.

And that was our trip to Toronto.

No comments: