Tuesday, February 01, 2011

what's cooking wednesday - tomato soup

Usually come the colder months I start making soup like crazy, but so far this winter I haven't. I'm not sure what that's true, but my best guess is weight watchers. Typically when I make a soup I view the recipe as merely a guideline. Soup can be pretty forgiving. So it seems to be a pretty daunting task to have to try and figure out the points for a serving of soup. For the longest time I've been meaning to give Jamie Oliver's tomato soup a try since it worked out to be a zero point soup, which is awesome times ten.

012911_1829[00].jpg


Jamie Oliver's Tomato Soup

Click on through to Jamie's site for the recipe and great how-to pictures.

Recipe Notes: Okay this is one super quick and easy soup to make. And it makes a pretty big pot, so hurray for lunches for the week. The taste is great, much better than anything out of a can. Even better, since it works out to zero points in the weight watchers world, it gives you some wiggle room to dress it up with grated cheese, hot sauce and/or some sour cream. Or I can leave it plain and add a bagel. It makes for a very versatile lunch. Odds are I'll start alternating weight watchers chili and this tomato soup for lunches on a weekly basis.


5 comments:

PERMANENT POSIES said...

Well, I have started Weight Watchers and I am really struggling with the points. I think I must have known what every food item had (point wise) before the switch. But, I will say that free fruit rocks! The soup I submitted has 5 points for 2 cups but you could eliminate the beans for less. The meat sort of makes it for me. Anyway, I am trying this tomato soup. Thanks for sharing.

Bibliomama said...

I wanted to play along with the soup, although mine is hardly low-fat and makes me sound like a dork. I'm dying to try the tomato soup. And I really should try Weight Watchers, but I keep thinking about Seth Rogen saying 'stay fat, people -- this is HARD'. And then I do.

Kankana said...

First time in your Blog and participated in the event too. It's a very very simple dip... hope you will like it :)

Natalie said...

I love tomato soup, and Jamie Oliver, so this is win-win for me :)

I didn't realise about "What's Cooking Wednesday" until now so it's a bit late for me this week, but I'll try and jump in next week!

Betsy Hart said...

That looks amazing!! =)