Tuesday, March 15, 2011

what's cooking wednesday - spaghetti squash

If you've spent any time around here at all then you know of my great love for the show Diners, Drive ins and Dives. Also known as Triple D to all us super fans. One day Mike and I will take a Triple D road trip and get ourselves some of the yummy food they present on the show. Occasionally I see something at one of the diners, drive ins or dives they visit and think.. hey I could make that at home. And that's exactly what I thought when I saw the stuffed spaghetti squash one place was making. I checked, but couldn't find the recipe online... they do sometimes post recipes on the foodnetwork website. So I decided to wing it.

I took a spaghetti squash, cut it in half and cooked it in the microwave until it was nice and soft. How long it takes depends on the size of your squash. I start with 5 minutes and keep checking it from there.

In a skillet on the stove I saute a diced onion, sliced mushrooms and a green peppers until they are soft. Then add in a jar of your favourite spaghetti sauce. Scoop the cooked flesh out of the squash and add that to the pan of sauce and veggies.

Now on the show, they scooped the sauce and veggies back into the hollowed out squash, topped it with cheese and baked until everything was good and melty.

I wish I could tell you I loved this because this is super low on the points scale for weight watchers. The truth of the matter is I hated it. I thought it was a huge waste of my time and food. Pure laziness is the only thing that kept me from taking it right outside and dumping it in the green bin.

Pure laziness is the only reason it was still sitting on the kitchen counter when Mike got home from his meeting. Wouldn't you know it... he tried and it and loved it. Packed some of it up to take in his lunch. Now I have no idea why I put some in my own lunch, but I'll tell ya what... the next day with a bit of cheese sprinkled on it... it was quite delicious. It seems like you're eating spaghetti, but without spending 8 points just on the pasta. Keeping in mind I only get 29 points per day, 8 is a lot of give up for a portion of a meal.

So there is no picture because I never intended to blog about this or post the "recipe". Just further proof that almost everything tastes better the second day. This is an incredibly versatile meal since you can use whatever veggies you have on hand in the sauce. Mike has already requested I make this again. I didn't think we'd find a meatless meal he would be excited about, but here we are.




What is What's Cooking Wednesday and how can I play?

What's cooking Wednesday was born out of a desire to get out of that what's for dinner rut. Playing is easy, on Wednesday post a recipe that has been tried and tested by you and then pop over here and add your name to the Mr. Linky. When entering your name also add the name of the recipe in brackets and make sure you link to your What's Cooking Wednesday post and not just your blog's front page.

*All front page links will be deleted!*
*Posts that aren't linked back will be deleted*
*Posts that don't include some sort of a recipe will be deleted*

Don't make me be a jerk. And don't forget to link back here, the home of What's Cooking Wednesday.

So for example I would write Shan (Speedy Chicken Stir Fry) in the name section. For the URL section I would post this: http://shanrev.blogspot.com/2007/10/whats-cooking-wednesday-speedy-chicken.html

I'll let you in on a little secret, my WCW recipes are almost never made on a Wednesday. So feel free to cook and photograph whenever you have time and join us posting on Wednesday

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Hello! I just found you from Alli and Son. What a nice blog! I'll be linking up a recipe this week :)

zaczmom said...

I also just started making this kind of recipe. I have one suggestion....use meat!!! I use ground beef or ground chicken and make a normal spaghetti sauce that you would with pasta. Cook the squash, shred it and then add tons of sauce. Top with cheese and rebake in the oven. I love this stuff on the 2nd and 3rd day better and it's so healthy! I have also thrown in some rice if I need a starch for my day. If you add enough sauce - you don't notice the squash!!!

Julie said...

i often have it as a side dish. scoop out the flesh, mix with some veg that i cooked up , like green peppers and onions. a little garlic, herbs/spices and some olive oil. then i sprinkle it with feta and sunflower seeds and bake it until the cheese melty and brown. while the jellybean won't have anything to do with it, the hubby and i really like it.

Unknown said...

I also love to watch the Big D show! Sometimes recipes just don't turn out like we think they will.

Shani @ inspirednest.ca said...

Happy Wednesday! We love watching Diners too and I just started blogging about what' cooking in my kitchen every Wednesday:-)