Tuesday, November 22, 2011

what's cooking wednesday - pulled pork

I love love love the pioneer woman, but don't we all. I finally got around to making her cinnamon buns which were to die for, just as promised. I've had her cookbook for a while now (thanks Mama!!), but I haven't made too many recipes out of it. I have decided that this winter I need to change that. I got a great deal on some pork tenderloin, so I thought I would tweak her spicy pulled pork recipe a bit.

Funny story before we get to the recipe, when I first got this book Abby spent quite a long time looking through it. If you haven't seen it the book is full of gorgeous pictures or their ranch life on top of all the amazing looking food. So there's lots of pictures of horses and cows in amongst the cinnamon buns, pulled pork and sheey cake. Abby finished with the book and set it aside with a scowl. I don't like that book, she tells me. Really? I'm a little surprised pictures of horses is right up her alley. "Why not?" I can't believe you have a horse cook book.

Ahhh my sweet girl thought all those pictures of horses in the book meant the recipes were for horse meat. Poor girl.  Now on to the recipe...


112011_1723[00].jpg


Spicy Pulled Pork

I tossed two pork tenderloins in my crock pot.

In a bowl I mixed together:

1tbsp chili powder
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp ground cumin
 a large-ish pinch of salt
freshly ground black pepper

Then I sprinkled that all over the tenderloins in the crockpot. I added a splash of water to the bottom and cooked in on low for 8 hours.

I moved the tenderloins to a casserole dish and shredded the meat with two forks. The drippings I put in a pot and brought to a boil on the stove. I whisked in some flour and water to thicken it up and poured it over the shredded pork. I served this on buns with coleslaw and baked potatoes. I'm pretty sure Mike wanted to marry me all over again.

Most definitely will make these again.




What is What's Cooking Wednesday and how can I play?

What's cooking Wednesday was born out of a desire to get out of that what's for dinner rut. Playing is easy, on Wednesday post a recipe that has been tried and tested by you and then pop over here and add your name to the Mr. Linky. When entering your name also add the name of the recipe in brackets and make sure you link to your What's Cooking Wednesday post and not just your blog's front page.

*All front page links will be deleted!*
*Posts that aren't linked back will be deleted*
*Posts that don't include some sort of a recipe will be deleted*

Don't make me be a jerk. And don't forget to link back here, the home of What's Cooking Wednesday.

So for example I would write Shan (Speedy Chicken Stir Fry) in the name section. For the URL section I would post this: http://shanrev.blogspot.com/2007/10/whats-cooking-wednesday-speedy-chicken.html

I'll let you in on a little secret, my WCW recipes are almost never made on a Wednesday. So feel free to cook and photograph whenever you have time and join us posting on Wednesday

4 comments:

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

I can't use this type of linky in another site so I am going to have to pass up here, as well. I will check in to see what you have.

Chantal said...

Great recipe! I will be trying it too!

Merry said...

Great recipe! Your linky isn't working. :(

Hun.... WFD said...

Great recipe! You linky seems to not be working though :o(