Saturday, June 16, 2012

i did it

Are you tired of the running posts yet? Well in the words of my father.... TS.

Today was big. Huge. Epic.

Today I ran to the bench that marks the 2km point. I walked past it a bit, just shaking out my legs, getting control of my breathing, organizing myself for the run back. I looked ahead and thought, if I just go a little further I can make 5km, by the time I get home.

I felt great, it had been a really good run to that point. I felt strong, my legs were good, so off I went. I did a great job paying attention to my breathing, keeping a good steady pace, not my best time, but not to far off it. I kept one eye on my phone watching for my app to click over to 2.5km. When I hit it I stopped for a minute, two guys blew past me on their bikes, I felt like stopping them and yelling hey, guess what I just did! But I still had to run back, so I really hadn't done anything yet, oh but the potential was there. So I let them carry on completely oblivious to my awesomeness, then I turned and ran towards home.

Today as I hit the gate that marks where I get on and off the trail I stopped for a minute, I still had my .5km cool down walk back home, but the hard part was over. I'd done it. I'd run 4kms non stop, my warm up/cool down counts for 1km of my total mileage, my next goal is 6km, so I am running a true 5km.

I played it cool when I got home, just set my phone in front of Mike with my run stats on the screen and he knew right away, knew I had done it. I sat at the desk to log my run in my notebook and I admit to getting a wee bit weepy, there were times after starting this project when I thought I couldn't actually do this. I came back from runs defeated and discouraged and wondering what the hell I was even doing, but I kept with it. I can't even tell you why I did. My girl, The Mommy Project asked me how long I've been training and I've been running pretty steadily since mid March, before that it was pretty sporadic with no true gains in any way, shape or form. It's been hours now since I finished that run and I still can't believe I did it. Me. Who always wanted to be a runner, but didn't think I could. Who could barely run for 60 seconds a handful of months ago. I can't even tell you how proud of myself I am and that is a very hard thing for me to say, but I am and I should be and I should say so.

4 comments:

Mommy Project said...

You are amazeballs. Welcome to the Another Mother Runner Club. You are now an official, card-carrying, member. :)

The funny thing about running is.... everyone says they can't do it, everyone has reasons why they can't do it (me=three screws holding my left knee together), and yet, if you just give it a chance, almost everyone actually ~can~ do it! It doesn't even take that long! It's amazing how fast you go from "can't even run 30 seconds" to "just finished my first 5K!"...isn't it?!?!

But, you do have to hang in there, you do have to get past the awkwardness, you do have to keep at it, you do have to put yourself out there...and YOU DID!!

So. Proud. Of. You.

(p.s. Keep going, gf. All these months of taking care of JJ and having no energy left has put me back at practically square one. Sucks...but YOU inspired me to make it a priority and I'm back at it now. So, thank-you).

Leah said...

YOU. ARE. AMAZING.

Shan said...

MP - Yes!! I still can't believe I did it! Thanks for being so awesome and thanks for always telling me I could do this even though I told you 50 million times I couldn't! xo

Leah... awww shucks. Thanks. I wanna do I colour run! They look like so much fun. Why are there none in Canada? Thanks my friend!

Goofball said...

Woooohoooooo fantastic!! You rock

I don't think I've ever run 5k yet, because like you I insert some walking time. But I remember first time hitting 4k. pheww

Now it's been months since I last run and I had set a goal to go past that 5km....hmm that's not going to work if I don't get out. I'll have to take you as example and truly try to get going again, refreshing step by step that 4k and then continue.

congratulations to you