Friday, April 11, 2008

friday flashback - missing ricky

2008-04-10 031


I took this picture of Ricky when I was about 17 or 18. I was taking photography that semester and I clicked this with the Pentax MG SLR my Grandpa had given me on permanent loan. It was one of the ones I ended up picking to be part of my final project. I can't remember the mark I got on the assignment or in the class and it doesn't matter because this is one of my most favourite pictures. Ricky always enjoyed mugging for the camera so it wasn't always easy to get a "nice" picture of him. To me this picture is really Ricky. He looks relaxed, happy and content. A few years ago I finally got around to framing it and ever since it's sat in our living room grouped with some framed pictures of the girls.

It hurts my heart when I think of the important people who are gone from my life that never got the opportunity to meet these beautiful girls of mine. My Dad, my grandparents and Ricky. I do my best share my memories of them with Abby and Maya. Maya's still a little young, but Abby seems to have developed quite a connection with those she's never met. She quite often talks about "her Uncle" Ricky which always causes the tears to well up in my eyes. I can only imagine how much they would have enjoyed each other's company.

Something we are not short on in this house is stickers and Barbies, but that's a story for another time. Easter, Christmas, Birthdays and sometimes just because it's Tuesday somebody is always giving my kids stickers. The other day I happened to notice one of the Valentine's stickers had made it's way onto Ricky's picture. Placed there by Abby against the edge of the frame the heart shaped sticker reads, missing your smile. I asked her, with tears in my eyes and a lump the size of Texas in my throat why she'd stuck a sticker on Ricky's picture. She answered. "because I like Uncle Ricky. He's always smiling at me from the picture." And for the eleventy billionth time since my motherhood journey began, my heart exploded.

8 comments:

Heather said...

You should have put a tissue warning on this post :o) I thought you might like to read this one http://evelynbuck.blogspot.com/2008/04/adam.html posted by my best friend a few days ago.

I really appreciate the thoughts you have about Ricky (and your girls). I'm sure exploding hearts are very prominent in our Adam's family too!

Leah said...

seriously brushing away tears right now... OH MY WORD! It's just truly amazing to me how intuitive and genuinely compassionate and SWEET little children are. That sticker could not be more perfect and bless her little heart for knowing it!!!!!

thanks for the cry, I need that from time to time!

PS I love the "eleventy billionth" comment. you sound like me!

Anonymous said...

I can still remember the wonder and excitement in his eyes when Rickety Rick knew he was going to be an uncle when you and David were on your way, but when he actually got to hold each of you as though you were fragile eggs, his heart melted.
It would have been beyond words to have been a great Uncle!

Angela said...

Too sweet

darlene said...

omg!..awwwwwwwww....and what yur mom said...is priceless.....makes me melt!!!

anno said...

Beautiful. The kind of story that required me to stop and collect my breath before commenting. You've got to know you're doing something right when your children can say and do something so perfectly on the mark like that.

Michie said...

What a sweet story.

Shan said...

Heather - thanks for the link. I loved reading the post.

Leah - Yeah it is pretty amazing.

Mom - i think so too.

Angela - thanks.

Darlene - i know, mine too.

anno - thanks, i like to think so.

michie - thanks.