Tuesday, January 27, 2009

what's cooking wednesday - honey bun cake

Well I certainly didn't mean to wander off and desert you all. I'd like to tell you that I've had no time to blog because I've been across the street satisfying my baby lust with The Mommy Project's newest addition. When in fact I have been annihilating all traces of said baby lust by suffering through the world's worst cold in tandem with our Little My Pie. It appears the only known cure for this particular cold is for Maya to wrap herself around me, spider monkey style, and then proceed to cry for endless hours that she wants her Mama. Even though I was right there. Yeah it was dreadful.

Anyway I am many hours behind on my sleep since I was the only one allowed to care for the little princess I got even less sleep then I normally do when I'm healthy. I had to make sure that she stayed in a some what upright position so she could sleep. So I'm going to post the recipe up here tonight and the picture will have to wait until tomorrow. Batteries are charging.

honey bun cake


Honey Bun Cake

1 package yellow cake mix
3/4 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream

1 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl combine cake mix, oil, eggs and sour cream. Stir by hand approximately 50 strokes or until most large lumps are broken up. Pour half the batter into an ungreased 9 x 13 glass baking dish. Combine the brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle over the batter in the baking dish. Spoon the other half of the batter into the cake pan, covering the brown sugar and cinnamon. Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Drizzle with a glaze while still warm. 2 cups icing sugar, 4 tbsp milk and tbsp vanilla. Remember to use a clear vanilla or oyour glaze will be tinited.

Recipe Notes: I have a lot of cake mixes. Granny likes to stock me up. She scored some great cake mix deals her last trip to the states so I am set for quite some time. Since I have a pretty great stockpile, I'm always on the look out for recipes that go beyond the instructions printed on the box. This cake was a huge hit. I made it for Scrabble night (part of the Granparents Club) and everyone enjoyed it. I made mine in a star shaped bundt pan and layered the cinnamon and brown sugar in three layers instead of one in the middle. It came out a little more cinnamon bun reminiscent when it was cut into slices. I will definitely make this again. Thanks to allrecipes for the recipe.





What is What's Cooking Wednesday and how can I play?

What's cooking Wednesday was born out of a desire to get out of that what's for dinner rut. Playing is easy, on Wednesday post a recipe that has been tried and tested by you and then pop over here and add your name to the Mr. Linky. When entering your name also add the name of the recipe in brackets and make sure you link to your What's Cooking Wednesday post and not just your blog's front page. And don't forget to link back here, the home of What's Cooking Wednesday.

So for example I would write Shan (Speedy Chicken Stir Fry) in the name section. For the URL section I would post this: http://shanrev.blogspot.com/2007/10/whats-cooking-wednesday-speedy-chicken.html

I'll let you in on a little secret. Much to Kaffy's chagrin, my WCW recipes are almost never made on a Wednesday. So feel free to cook and photograph whenever you have time and join us posting on Wednesday.

3 comments:

Julie said...

I was wondering if everything was OK. I hope both of you are feeling better and that you can get some sleep!

Angela said...

I do enjoy these I actually made the iceing from last week, We put it on some cupcakes. We had blue, purple, and yellow iceing.

Thanks

Shan said...

Julie - thanks it was a very rough few days. Sleep deprivation is the worst. Unfortunately Mike has it now.

Angela - glad it could help you out. That's the goal.