Saturday, May 30, 2009

parenting fail

Try as we might to be organized Mike and I usually end up putting the girls lunches together in the morning. It's a task that really should be done the night before, but somehow it never happens. I'm not quite sure what happened Friday morning, but somehow Mike got Maya's sandwich into Abby's lunch bag and vice versa.

Maybe not too horrifying, but consider this -- Maya will only eat peanut butter sandwiches and Abby's school, as most schools are these days, is nut-free. So there I have my poor rule following almost seven year old with a contraband peanut butter sandwich for lunch. Luckily they let her eat it, but she had to wash up very carefully when she was done. Thanks to her teacher for being a rock star on that one.

So that's pretty bad on it's own.

But then there's Maya, one town over, sitting down to her lunch -- a deli meat sandwich. Maya does not eat any meat that doesn't come in hotdog or nugget form, but the babysitter assumes since we put it in her lunch we want her to eat it. I can only imagine the pre-schooler stand off that was going on around the lunch table that day. Luckily Abby had early dismissal and was there not long after lunch to explain the mix up. And because our sitter rocks she made Maya a peanut butter sandwich.

4 comments:

Leah said...

So far, Emily is the only one I pack lunches for, but next year, J will be at school all day long with her, and I can easily see how I could end up (in the morning rush!) swapping favorites around. OY... I'd better spend the summer training them to just eat whatever I pack (ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!! if only life were that easy...)

Betsy Hart said...

I am soo not looking forword to the lunch packing days.

Angela said...

I am glad Abby got to eat something.
A messy mix up

Shan said...

Leah - if only it were!

Betsy - yeah they pretty much suck :)

Angela - yes it was.