Saturday, March 27, 2010

it seems that way when you're seven

Abby was having a small problem with a kid at school. Nothing major or earth shattering, but she wasn't happy with the way things were between her and this other child. Mike and I gave her some suggestions on how to handle the problem because we both felt this was something her and this child could (and should) work out together. On the way to the sitter's Mike and I were giving her a pep talk, because honestly this thing could be solved if Abby just spoke up for herself.

Me: So Abs, when you get to school you just tell Rebecca* that it's only fair if you take turns. You have to stick up for yourself and tell people what you want.
Abby: Okay.
Me: Because Rebecca is not the boss of you.
Abby: Well you're the boss of me. Daddy's the boss of me. The bus driver is the boss of me. The whole world is the boss of me.

*not her real name

3 comments:

Goofball said...

I think she got it right though, unfortunately

Julie said...

poor abby. i hope she figured it out with rebecca*

Cassie said...

Aw poor girl! I remember that feeling.