Wednesday, July 21, 2010

home

The past few nights I've been pretty good about taking my walk, four nights in a row so far this week. Just me and GLEE! on the ipod as I walk my regular 3km circuit through the hood. And I on that walk I see....

Beautiful gardens and corn standing tall in farmer's fields.

Bunnies, birds and dogs.

Well loved old homes that have historical significance in this village. Like the church and the house that used to be the church, but now it's someone's home. The old funeral parlour and the grist mill. The hotel and the old general store. Newer homes and brand new homes.

The house that Mike's Uncle built and raised his family in and his in-law's place next door. Now new people are raising their families there.

The house where Mike's cousin and his family used to live.

The church where Mike and I were married and where our babies were christened. Where they now sing in the choir.

The house where Papa's Grandfather lived. That would be Mike's great grandfather, Abby and Maya's great great grandfather.

The house where Papa grew up with his brothers and sisters.

The houses of my wonderful and talented friends. My jammie movie night crew. My Jersey Girls.

Houses where childhood friends, of both Uncle Dave and I, used to live.

Finally my feet bring me to the house my Dad bought for our family of four. The house my Mom raised Uncle Dave and I on her own... our family of three. The house where Mike and I started our marriage.... our family of two. The house that we brought both our babies home too.... our family of three and then our family of four.

It's a pretty great walk.

4 comments:

allison said...

It's a beautiful town. My kids-home-all-day husband-and-boy-child out-for-baseball-all-night is really cramping my walking style. Wish I could walk with you (I walk with Glee too).

Ironic Mom said...

I love walking around at night looking in people's windows. Not the creepy kind of looking. Just seeing lights on and bookshelves and plants...from the sidewalk.

I just sound creepier all the time, don't I?

I'm going to stop typing now.

Julie said...

wow. to have so much family history in one place. that must be an incredible feeling.

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

Having such rich family history in walking distance is mind-boggling for me. I would love it. I just don't have it. Happy you do and that you can pass that on to your daughters.