Friday, February 03, 2012

friday high five - android apps

I've had my Android phone for over a month now and I'm still crushing pretty hard on it. A friend thought I'd regret not getting an iphone, but to be honest, I don't. I am really very happy with it. My only issue, and from what I read it seems to be everyone's issue with this phone, (Samsung Galaxy Ace) is it doesn't receive pictures messages. They just get lost in cyber space somewhere. It's annoying yes, but I love everything else so much it's not a deal breaker. There are lots of helpful hints to fix this problem on the message boards and I'm working through them as time permits.

Of course everyone knows that what makes a smart phone awesome it the apps that are on it, so I'm sure you're all wondering what my favourite apps are......

1. Weight Watcher's Points Diary and Scanner - This is not the official Weight Watchers app because, while Mike is an actual WW member, I am not. This app is by frippware and it may be even better than the official tools Mike has at his disposal. I've lost 4.5lbs so far and many thanks go to this app for that. Well worth the $1.49 price tag... also the only app I have paid for thus far.

2. MapMyFitness -  I had originally downloaded runkeeper to track our distance and progress as Abby and I run our way through the couch to 5k program (now called Ease into 5K). We have the program on her ipod, so I couldn't track with that. Anyhoo.... the gps program in runkeeper couldn't find us, so what's the point. The gps program in MMF has no problem finding us. I like that I can manually enter other workouts (zumba, yoga, walks etc) and at the end of the week it emails me my stats, how many hours I worked out (2.1), how many kms we covered (3.7) etc. I like that. It's a big motivator to me to see what I have accomplished. I know it has other features, like nutrition tracking, but I haven't really checked that part of it out.

3. Angry Birds - Of course I downloaded Angry Birds and Angry Birds Seasons and Angry Birds Rio. I'm not a hardcore player. Mike, Abby & Maya are all addicted. Maya probably plays it the most since Mike and Abby play on her ipod. It's a nice little time killer when you have a little time to kill.

4. GO SMS Pro - I downloaded this text messaging program because the internets told me it should solve my picture messaging issue, it hasn't yet, but I'm still working on it. I do like the filters it has for sending picture messages, since instagram is not available for android. Which.... boo! I don't like that I can't access all my contacts, for example the addresses for facebook, twitpic  or flicker don't show up in my contact list, but once I type them into a message they are good to go.

5.Camera 360 - I came across this while looking for instagram type app. I haven't used it a ton and now I see they've added some more fun tools, but I've enjoyed what I've seen so far.

What are your favourite apps?


3 comments:

Goofball said...

well there is a trio I can't live without online, any device including my HTC Android: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn & Foursquare. But I assume you already have those.
I chat on meebo.
I kill time playing 'bejeweled'.

We track our walks or runs via 'runkeeper' which then can be posted or is a gallery of nice walks.

In the office in the Netherlands I listen to the Belgian radios via their apps doing streaming. I can recommend Stubru (Studio Brussel) ;).

Recently I started playing wordfeud, but I think my htc's screen is a little too small to be practical. Completely hooked to Wordfeud already though.

I also have some newspaper apps and google reader to track my blogs although I never truly read blogs on my phone.


oh right...dropbox is handy. You must have an account but we eg keep our address list there and when we travel we dump all relevant booking confirmations etc in dropbox and then it's accessible via our phones.

Betsy Hart said...

I might just bookmark this post to add a few to my phone! =)

Danny Danials said...

I am questioning that during this time you must deliver a try and this new app Titanium TV Apk : which is now maximum trending app inside the global.