Wednesday, June 04, 2014

dear abby

Dear Abby,

I'm not going to lie I'm kind of excited that twelve arrived today. Don't get me wrong eleven was great as were ten, nine, eight and so on. I always say whatever age you guys are right now is my favourite. I just think twelve is going to be something special. Things have been changing in a really lovely way for you in the past year. I don't think I'd be out of line if I said this was the best year you've had in school since kindergarten. You've found your confidence and your place amongst your classmates. There is just an ease about you at school that I am so relieved to see.

You have the volunteering bug already. You've got your fingers in a bunch of different pies at school. If they offered an opportunity to helped odds are very high you signed up for. You have a special place in your heart for Relay for Life and the fundraising walk for the local Down Syndrome Association. You love to tagalong with Dad and I to whatever project we're working on, but you do find the meetings boooooring. Not that I blame you, sometimes they can be. And just recently you spent the morning volunteering all on your "own" with one of your 4-H clubs. You were nervous, but you managed just fine!

After eleven years of telling me you wanted to be an artist you seem to have found a new potential career path. You have become more than smitten with the fabulous son of my fabulous friend TC. He is Ryan the Rockstar and you are just utterly in love with him. In the past year you have become fascinated with all things RyRy including his physio-therapy. You beg TC (via me) to send you pictures of his sessions and you pour over any pictures or videos she texts my way. "Mom, I want to do that. I want to be a physio-therapist. I want to help babies like RyRy". It's all you've talked about this year and my heart just about bursts when you do.

In a blink you're growing into this lovely grown up girl. You're up and showered before Dad and I have even hit snooze for the first time. You clear the table after dinner without being asked and you do a solid 95% of the tidying. You take lovely care of your sister and usually manage to keep the bickering to a minimum. You are completely into graphic novels and are reading them like crazy. You are still head over heels into One Direction and you're already borrowing my clothes and shoes. Please feel free to stop growing any time. You've taken your first two tumbles while riding, but it's done nothing to damper your love of it.

As your Dad put it on facebook this morning.... you're pretty much the best 12 year old we've ever known. I am thankful every day that I get to be your Mom. I love you pretty girl, to the moon and back.

With so much love,
Mama xo

3 comments:

Julie Leclair said...

She is growing into a lovely young lady.

Lynn said...

Aw, so sweet! She sounds like such a lovely lass. Happy Birthday Abby!

Betsy Hart said...

This is beyond sweet! I have loved getting to "know" her via your blog. She seems to be an amazing young lady.