Wednesday, November 18, 2020

this week

 What I Saw:

Dolly Parton: Here I Am. Gosh, I love Dolly Parton and not just because she's going to save us all. Truly though, I have been a fan of Dolly's for as long as I can remember. If you ever get the chance to meet my Mom in person, she would just love to tell you the story of teeny tiny me belting out Jolene at the top of my lungs. So yes, my affection has been well documented. This documentary gave me a real appreciation for her business sense as well as her incredible song writing skills. I was surprised to learn what a trail blazer she was, she really is the whole package. It was a warm and inspirational watch. Found it on Netflix.

The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling. We were big fans of the Larry Sanders Show back in the day and I am game for just about anything Judd Apatow puts out, so this was a long overdue no-brainer. I wasn't really sure what to expect from this. I knew Apatow had a great fondness for Garry Shandling, but even still I was surprised at how moved I was by this. I'm a bit at a loss as how to explain it. It was profoundly sad, yet also hopeful. A complex story and  person, for sure. I hope somewhere along the way he was able to find some peace. Found it on Crave.

Schitt's Creek. This is the latest in the "have a laugh before bed" series with my daughter. We have almost wrapped the series and I am so sad see it go. This show is something so wonderful, it was just hysterically funny and sweet, right from the first episode. 

What I Heard:

ArmChair Expert - Expert on Experts. Jonathan Haidt, moral psychologist and Professor of Ethical Leadership at New York University Stern School of Business. Well this was another one that lit my brain on fire. There was so much to unpack here, from the origins of safe spaces and trigger warnings, to how to connect with someone with opposing political views to allowing our children to practice risk assessment. This episode was from the end of 2018, but still remarkably relevant today. Loved it, would listen to it again.

What I Read;

City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert. I wanted to live in this book! Yep, right in a playhouse in New York City in the 1940's. The protagonist is asked at the beginning of the book, What were you to my father? What follows is an answer that spans over decades. I was sucked in right from the first page. It was a fun read. A little light pick me for these early dark days.

No comments: