Sunday, March 14, 2021

10/52 - Becoming


 I have been listening to a ton more podcasts in the past year and Michelle Obama's is in my regular rotation. This documentary follows Michelle Obama as she does her book tour and speaking engagements for her book, Becoming. I haven't yet read the book, but I still really enjoyed watching this. I do enjoy the content and tone of her podcast and this documentary has the same feeling. I appreciate her insight and take on the world around her. I enjoyed hearing about the behind the scenes happenings at the White House. Particularly how you raise younger children while living there. Some of these topics are talked about more in depth on her podcast, but the visuals were a nice addition. 

I appreciated and respected the advice and attention she gave to young people as she met with them on her tour. Not to mention her dedication to looking people in the eye and being engaged with people who came to her book signings. It's a class act, that can be missing in the most simple day to day interactions. There were some repeating themes here, for example, how women are depicted in the media. Being from the world of politics added another wrinkle to the mess, not surprisingly. It's disheartening, we should be better than this by now, shouldn't we? 

We watched this on Netflix.


No comments: