Thursday, March 25, 2021

11/52 - Billie Eilish The World's A Little Blurry

 

I actually didn't even realize a Billie Eilish documentary existed, but that is the exact thing I am enjoying about this project. I actually wasn't even planning on watching a documentary at that moment, but one of my kids had turned it on and it seemed like a situation that was going to check a lot of boxes, for example, documentary watching, sharing time and an interest with my daughter and, of course, follow up discussion! Since I knew absolutely zero about this prior to watching it, I really had no idea what to expect or what we were even going to learn. I will admit, I am not a huge Billie Eilish fan, but there are a few songs on the communal playlist that is our daily dinner soundtrack that I like. The documentary is really just following her around as she records music, tours, does press etc, a regular day in the life type stuff, if you happen to be a rising star on the music scene.

Watching this as a Mom, who is in the midst of raising teenagers and understands the challenges that can bring.... wow, celebrity/global talent/fame etc all adds a huge wrinkle to that situation and kudos to her parents who seem to be doing their best to keep it from spiraling out of control. I couldn't help but compare this to the Britney Spears documentary and wonder if there was the same level of parental engagement, could that have been beneficial to the situation. To be clear, that is pure speculation on my part based on what was portrayed in each documentary. 

I did like that the documentary offered up many topics of discussion for my daughter and I. Part of the documentary dealt with a relationship Billie Eilish was in, that was portrayed as being more that a little one-sided, so we discussed knowing your worth and not chasing crumbs. It also showed and allowed us to discuss that no one is immune to feeling less than, not even the Billie Eilish's of the world. 

I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. Billie Eilish as at once an incredibly talented artist (as is her brother Finneas) making her mark in the music business and a seemingly typical teenager with a supportive family.

We watched this on AppleTV+

1 comment:

kestrel said...

Found your interesting blog and am following it. I actually did not even know billie elish existed until I saw the 2021 Grammy wards. She makes singing look so effortless but I am sure there is a lot of practice to achieve this style. I need to update myself on current music scene. Thanks for information on her video which I will watch. Drop by my site