Sunday, April 04, 2021

12/52 - The Last Dance

 

Another one I was late to the party for, the big Michael Jordan/Chicago Bulls docuseries. I am not much of a basketball fan, but I will watch if the game is on. So I really didn't know anything about the Chicago Bulls or Michael Jordan prior to watching this. Because of this I sometimes had a hard time connecting stories as they jumped back and forth through the years. There was a handful of guys, like Steve Kerr, that I particularly enjoyed hearing stories from, but it is pretty clear this is the Michael Jordan show, which is fine, but it also keeps this from being a true deep dive on that last season. 

As for the man himself, I found him to be a lot of things, arrogant, intelligent, obviously talented, charismatic, guarded in areas surrounding his private life and things like politics, which I think he probably has a right to be. It is definitely not easy to life your life in the spotlight and additionally, to countless other's expectations. I've seen criticism online, notably from Ken Burns, that this is the Michael Jordan story because MJ's production, Jump 23, is listed as a production partner. The idea being that he could then have influence on how he is portrayed in the docuseries. While I feel that is a fair assessment, I don't take big issue with it. Every interview in every documentary is telling that person's version of events. I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation to think you have to engage some critical thinking while watching any documentary about what you are being told, by who and in what manner. 

Overall I did enjoy this one, probably more than I thought I would.

I watched this on Netflix.

No comments: