Saturday, July 03, 2021

26/52 - The Year Earth Changed

 

The Year Earth Changed (2021) - Early Saturday morning is typically documentary time for me. Sometimes I have one in mind that I want to watch, other times I pick a streaming service and scroll through until something hits my fancy. This was a happy scroll through find! This documentary tells the story of how animals are adapting to our new stay at home pandemic lifestyle. Spoiler alert, they're kind of thriving. Narrated by the wonderful David Attenborough, it is equal parts heart warming and hopeful.

I ended up watching this with my daughter and it was just the completely adorable and bright sort of pick me up we didn't know we were in need of. There isn't an overwhelming amount of humans in this one. There are some brief interviews with scientist explaining how the decrease in shipping traffic is good for the whales and empty beaches are good for turtles laying eggs. The focus is on the animals and guys, they are cute! Baby turtles making their way back to the sea. Penguins strolling down the sidewalk. Oh, did I hippo just wander into a gas station? 

It is certainly encouraging to see the great progress that has been made in the last year. The air is cleaner, traffic is less and such, but it obviously isn't sustainable as the world slowly starts to open up to humans moving around with less restrictions. There were some "meet in the middle" moments that  were thought to be helpful, like restricting access to beaches where turtles lay their eggs in the evening. I hope that some of those ideas can be implemented in the future. 

With it's shorter run time (45ish minutes) and it's high cuteness factor it is the perfect pick me up viewing. I watched this on AppleTV+

No comments: