Saturday, July 10, 2021

27/52 - Dads

 

Dads (2019) - I try to make sure I give all of my streaming services equal attention, otherwise why have them, and while Apple TV+ may be light on content compared to others, I feel it more than makes up for it in quality. My early Saturday morning documentary watching is often dictated by a mindless scroll through the offerings and that is how I stumbled upon this one. I will be honest, I didn't have high hopes for it necessarily. It's a documentary by Bryce Dallas Howard and featured a bunch of celebrity interviews and I think, maybe, we're all a little bit tired of hearing the opinions of celebrities. Or at least that's what the comment sections on the internet are telling me.

So while this may not have been a hard hitting expose of a documentary, it certainly was pleasantly uplifting and positive. The celebrity interviews really pushed the idea that we're all just humans at the end of the day. That you jump right into the deep end of parenthood and we're all just figuring it out as we go. They were sweet and fun. Ron Howard arriving for his interview and documenting it all with his phone was an adorable proud Dad moment and the Howard family home movies were a lovely addition. 

Even more engaging were the vignettes of every day Dads, their stories and struggles. There is the story of a same sex couple, who adopted 4 special needs kids, a work at home dad, co-parenting dad, these dads aren't celebrities, outside of their own families, but they are certainly the heart of this documentary. Their stories were all touching and interesting and they really offered a nice balance. In the end I really enjoyed this one. Sometimes you need a little light and hope to seep in and this one fit the bill. 

I watched this on Apple TV+

No comments: