Saturday, December 11, 2021

31/52 - There Are No Fakes


 

There Are No Fakes (2020) - This documentary project has been fun, in that it allows for time, connection and conversation with my family. I will often pick a documentary to watch because it is something of interest to one of them. Which is exactly how I ended up watching this one with my daughter. The trailers showed Barenaked Ladies keyboardist, Kevin Hearn, in a court battle over an allegedly forged piece of art work by Indigenous artist, Norval Morriseau. My youngest daughter is a fan of the band, so I suggested we watch this together.

Prior to watching this documentary, neither of us had any knowledge of Norval Morriseau, the artist who's work Hearn thought he was purchasing, but we very quickly fell in love with his paintings. The first half of the documentary has a wild cast of characters, from the art dealers on, and the story weaves it's way through with each camp believing their story to be the true story. The sound bites and talking points are endless. Halfway through, the story takes a sharp turn and dives, deeply, into the corruption, addiction, crime and abuse surrounding these Morriseau fakes and it paints a vivid picture of the exploitation of another Indigenous artist. 

After watching this and talking about it for many many days afterwards, I had the chance to see an original Norval Morriseau at the history museum in Ottawa and it was one of my favourite parts of the trip. 

We watched this on Amazon Prime Video

No comments: