Tuesday, December 14, 2021

32/52 - The Sheik

 

The Sheik (2014) - We just couldn't stop with these wrestling documentaries. As I have mentioned, this project has given me the opportunity to use it as a way of connecting with my family. If I notice a documentary about a person, place or subject that catches someone's fancy I will invite them to watch along with me. This was one of those times. My husband and I were at the perfect age when wrestling was in it's heyday and many a night were spent at the local arena taking in a wrestling event. Separately of course, we hadn't met yet. The Sheik was a popular character, so this one was a no brainer when I stumbled upon it.

The star of this show is obviously the man himself. He was definitely a larger than life character back in the day and that doesn't seem to have faded. I was interested to learn of his beginnings in Iran as the Shah's bodyguard to his coaching the U.S. Olympic team, then onto the WWF/WWE and now it seems he's a star on twitter. Who knew? There are talking heads from some of wrestling's greats like The Rock, Mick Foley and Hulk Hogan, among others. I couldn't necessarily consider this a hard hitting expose, but they did touch on the highs and lows that he's encountered.

We watched this on Amazon Prime Video.

No comments: