Wednesday, January 12, 2022

43/52 - Untold - Deal With the Devil

 

Untold - Deal With the Devil (2021) - I am not a boxing fan, but you know I just can't say no to a sports documentary. Additionally I knew this one would land well with my husband. This Untold series reminds me of the 30 for 30 series by ESPN, interesting stories, well researched and great interviews! Not being a boxing fan, I really didn't know who Christy Martin was nor had I heard her story, so I appreciated being able to hear it straight from her, but I'm not really sure who advised her ex-husband to agree to be interviewed. I'm guessing it has a lot to do with ego.

Christy Martin was one of the most influential female boxers in history who won 36 of her first 39 fights in the early 90s. She ended up married to her trainer, Jim Martin despite a significant age difference becoming the most successful female boxer with sold out fights, big contracts and media appearances . Behind the scenes was a different story, one of substance abuse, denied sexuality and an abusive relationship. It all came to a head one night when Jim Martin stabbed her, shot her and then left her for dead. His interviews are conducted from prison where he is serving 25 years for his crimes. This was a compelling and heart wrenching watch. I can't help, but wonder if she'd simply been allowed to be herself if that would have changed everything?

We watched this on Netflix.

No comments: