Sunday, September 04, 2022

3/52/2022 - Dave Not Coming Back

 

Dave Not Coming Back (2020) - On a world record breaking dive for depth, two high level scuba divers, Don and Dave, find a body. They plan to retrieve it on a subsequent dive so they inform the parents and enlist the help of 8 other divers, as well, they hire a camera man to document the dive.

From the title you can probably suss out what happens next, but don't let that dissuade you from watching this one. There is a lot of layers here. I don't want to go too much into the whats and hows of this one, because I really appreciated the experience of knowing very little before watching this, outside of what I could glean from the synopsis and title. I watched this one with my husband and it gave you lots to think about/discuss/debate. Things like ego, self-promotion, altruism, the choices we make and for what reason? As I have mentioned many times, I really enjoy learning about people who are operating at the top of their game, so while scuba diving is mostly decidedly not my thing, I was very interested to learn what goes into planning a dive such a this. Not necessarily the purpose, but the mechanics of a deep dive and how one would perform one as safely as one can manage, which brings up another talking point.... taking risks, different folks have different tolerance levels, clearly. I watched this one earlier in the year, obviously, and I still think about it every now and then.

We watched this on Amazon Prime Video.

No comments: