Sunday, March 02, 2008

girls night

Last year Grandma Linda and I had such a great time taking Abby to see Disney on Ice that we were hoping to do it again this year. That was, until I found out that it was High School Musical on Ice. Abby's not quite in the High School Musical fan base just yet. What pissed me off even more is just down the road in Toronto the Princess Edition of Disney on Ice is touring. It hardly seemed fair, no offense to the quadrillion High School Musical Fans out there.

As luck would have it the Backyardigans stage show was going to be stopping in town, just for today. I tried to get tickets in lieu of Disney on Ice. I could get three crappy tickets or I could get two decent tickets. So the decision was made for me to purchase two decent tickets for Abby and Grandma Linda to go. The ticket Gods must have thought I'd suffered enough heartbreak because when I went to purchase the tickets they had just added a third show. I manage to score three seats to the 7 pm show, 11 rows from the stage.

Just to keep things fun Grandma Linda and I decided not to tell Abby about about the show. Instead, today we told her we were having girls night. We were going out for dinner and then maybe we'd do something else fun afterwards. We got down to Hamilton Place and in our seats about 5 minutes before curtain time, thanks to a less than stellar waiter at Swiss Chalet, where Abby loves the new mini burgers. This was after we'd stopped on the way in to buy a plush Tasha doll that is, right now, tucked into Abby's sleeping arms. So there Abby sat, her first time in a real theater, wide eyed, checking everything out. Without a clue why we were there, despite the plethora of Backyardigans merchandise and the liberal use of the word Backyardigans by every adult and child in our vicinity. So Grandma Linda and I smiled excited smiles to ourselves and waited for the lights to go down. Something Abby was a little apprehensive about, so she had a firm grasp on both our hands.

And then the lights went down, the music began to play and.....

2008-03-02 039


To say she was thrilled, may be an understatement. That is some wide eyed wonder there, folks.

2008-03-02 030


Personally I enjoyed this show more than Disney on Ice and I think Abby did too. It was much more interactive. Grandma Linda and I got a real kick out of Abby helpfully telling the alien which way the Backyardigans had gone. Well her and every other kid in the place. And there was time for her to get up and dance....

2008-03-02 038


There is nothing I love more than sharing an amazing new experience with my kids. This one definitely rates extremely high. I can't thank Grandma Linda enough for sharing the gift with us.

11 comments:

anno said...

That look is priceless -- what a fabulous treat!

Mommy Project said...

Ahhh, that is so cute. The pic. of Abby is *priceless*! What a wonderful surprise for her. I think your "cool Mommy" points are sky-rocketing!!!

Julie said...

Looks like Abby had a great time!

Anonymous said...

Maybe I don't understand the rules of the campaign, but if I were Abby, this girls night would definitely give you a HUGE edge in the cool mom campaign... : )
--Lady

Cajoy said...

How wonderful...I am a Grammee and looked forward to taking my 4-year-old grand-daughter especially, and 2-year-old grandson. But at $182 (bal) and $236 (orch), it won't happen in our family!

Angela said...

Oh that sounded so great
It is so wonderful when their faces are so excited

Shan said...

Anno - Thanks, I love that picture.

Mommy - Thanks, I think so too. I think Grandma Linda scored pretty big herself.

Julie - She really did and that was exactly what we were hoping for.

Anon - Thanks, I hope so.

Carolyn - I hope that's not per ticket. If so ouch! We only paid a fraction of that for the three of us to go, with really great seats.

Angela- It is the best thing ever.

Cajoy said...

The website said "each." Had hoped to treat my daughter as well. I plan to call just in case... We all love the characters, their adventures and the music. We're in Baltimore, by the way.

Leah said...

HOW FUN!!!!!!!

Cajoy said...

I found out I was directed to a "broker" site and they can charge whatever. Also found out tickets have been on sale since January 2008. Only high balcony is available through the theater. Maybe next time...

Shan said...

Carolyn - Maybe you could sign up to be sent updates whenever a show is coming to your local venue. That's what I did. That way you'd know right away if there is a show coming you'd like to see. We just got lucky that they happened to add another show. Keep an eye on it, you never know they made do the same.