Friday, September 19, 2008

friday flasback - the award winning edition

I would never say I'm a great photographer, but there have been times when I've gotten lucky. I enjoy taking pictures and I take a lot of them. I've shot nearly 200 this month alone. I know that because I upload my pictures into folders organized by month and number them sequentially. The ones I uploaded from Abby's riding lessons this morning were in the 170 range.

Mike and his Dad have been volunteering at the Fair for years now. So every year there is a "fair book" kicking around the house with a list of all the categories for exhibits. I always check out the photography section and that's as far as it goes. This year I actually got off my rump and did something about it. Now Mike and I did both enter campfire pictures, a category that he took the red ribbon in (aka first place) while I got one of those stickers that say - hey your picture sucked, but here's a sticker so you don't feel too bad about yourself. Actually it says "thanks for entering", but same diff.

I also entered a picture in the Tender Moments category. I love this picture. We actually have a black and white copy of this framed on top of our TV. Just one of those lucky shots I was talking about. Maya was freshly home from the NICU and Abby was instantly in love with this little sister she'd been hearing everyone talk about for the three weeks prior.

2006-02-08 008


You can see this "on the wall" with the rest of the entries here.

The second shot I entered was in the At The Fair category. As a family we spend a fair bit of time hanging around the fair, no pun intended. So it was hard for me to pick the best shot. I finally settled on this one because I liked the light on Abby and Grandma Linda. Plus you can see Papa in the background with his fair credentials around his neck and a bit of the midway as well. It was a nice layered shot. Look at me, acting like I know what I'm talking about.

2005-9-25 014


You can see this "on the wall" with the rest of the entries here.

I guess I must have picked well because both pictures were good enough to place second in their categories and score me a cool $12.

As a family we've had a tremendous amount of fun getting our things ready to be judged at the fair even if it did make a very hectic week all that much more hectic. Next year we're going to try taking holidays that week so we can continue to enjoy the fun with maybe a bit less of the stress.

No comments: