Sunday, April 10, 2022

2021 documentary project wrap up

 So I spent a year consuming a documentary a week and what did I learn? So much. I will be an excellent party guest, once we get back to having parties again. I have lots of interesting talking points at my disposal now. How did I pick the documentaries, I will pretend like someone asked. Many different ways, sometimes I recognized the subject would be interesting to one, or more, of the humans who live in my house and that turned into conversations and debates, which is always fun, when done correctly. Other times I gravitated to what was popular at the moment or what trailer happened to pique my interest. I would make time to mindlessly scroll, to catch up with what was being offered on the various streaming platforms I subscribe to. 

I guess the next question, no one asked, would be; which documentaries were my personal favourites. In particular order they were;

Tread - About the guy that built himself a tank and drove it through his town, targeting those places he felt wronged by. 

Barkley Marathons - An absolute fever dream of an event (trail run), that has a secret entry process, a secret start time, a ridiculously number of finishers and an incredibly unique guy who manages it all.  

There Are No Fakes - Kevin Hearn from The Barenaked Ladies bought an original Norval Morriseau painting that turned out to be a fake. This doc follows the trial as well as touching on Morriseau's story and the world surrounding his paintings both real and fake. 

Secrets of Whales - This is just a lovely collection of episodes that are beautifully shot. The beluga episode is my personal favourite, but they are all visual stunning and interesting.

My Octopus Teacher - Another beautiful one to watch. And the story is quite touching as well.

Posting these reviews, which I fully admit I am not the best at, was a way to keep my ontrack to hit my goals, but also encouraged conversations both in person and online about what I was watching. Interesting to me, the documentary that garnered the most interaction was Miss Americana about the one and only Taylor Swift. There are a lot of Swifties out there my friends, as there should be.... in my opinion anyway.

So that's my 2021 Documentary Project wrap up, I am already on to 2022's project and hope to be catching you up soon. I've already watched some great ones!

1 comment:

Lynn said...

I've really enjoyed reading about this project and thought it was just wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing - I have so many on my "to watch" list now!