Wednesday, April 09, 2008

happy 2nd birthday what's cooking wednesday

WCWjpg


Two years ago I was home on maternity leave with a new little baby (who didn't like to sleep) and a four year old . Being home with two kids it seemed like I spent half my day feeding someone and slowly I started hating the thought of preparing yet another meal and that wasn't me. I had always enjoyed cooking and somehow I needed to get that back. I still remember sitting at the kitchen table with Mike and coming up with the idea for What's Cooking Wednesday. It was like creating a little homework project for myself. Once I a week I would try out a new recipe and post it and my review online. To be quite honest with you I didn't think it was ever something that would be a permanent fixture. And I certainly didn't think it would be of much interest to anybody else. Hell, I didn't think my blog, in general, would be of interest to anybody besides my Mom and Grandma Linda. Then Michelle showed up and started playing and it just kind of snowballed from there. Nearly a 1000 posts later with close to 100 of those being WCW posts and here we are. So it seemed like as good as time as any to clear up some WCW misconceptions.

WCW was never about what I cooked on Wednesday. I am no superwoman. I work full time, I have two kids, a husband, extra curricular activities, a house to look after and a social life, such that it is. My goal was to make cooking fun again. To try out different things. To spruce up the family menu which had become mind numbingly predictable. The idea was to try something new whenever I could and then post the results on Wednesday. Why Wednesday? Well What's Cooking Tuesday didn't have quite the same ring. It's all about the alliteration, folks.

The first goal of What's Cooking Wednesday is to put the enjoyment back into making dinner. I don't think putting pressure on myself to make a brand new recipe each and every Wednesday would have done that. Much better to do it when I feel like it. Then it doesn't become a chore. So my WCW post may be from Sunday or possibly Tuesday. And some weeks I may try out two or three new recipes so I don't have to think about it for a few weeks. Really, beyond posting on Wednesday there are no hard and fast rules. Oh and it has to be a recipe. No taking a picture of your bowl of KD and submitting that for the week. Don't make me delete your link.

I continue to be surprised at how much traffic WCW generates. Anybody who lands here via a search is almost always looking for a recipe. On April 5th, What's Cooking Wednesday turned 2 years old. Thanks to all who take the time to play and those that take the time to read. In celebration I offer up some of my favourite WCW's posts from the last two years. Happy birthday WCW, here's to many more.

The post that started it all
Honey Spice Rubbed Pork Tenderloin
Butterscotch Confetti Squares
Cream of Cauliflower & Cheddar Soup
Broccoli Sunshine Salad
Check out the full flickr set.



9 comments:

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Woohoo! Happy birthday WCW!

For me, WCW became a way, a push, an obligation (!) for me to record beloved family recipes new and old--and for that I thank you Shan and WCW :)

anno said...

Happy birthday! And congratulations! I always look forward Wednesdays to discover what other people are coking in their kitchens.

Heather said...

Was the anniversary post your way of getting out of posting a recipe? :o) Congrats on 2 years of stimulating our inner-chefs, and our appetites!

Shan said...

BE - Thanks for being my first WCW participant:) You know once I got started I thought it was a great way to keep a record of our family favourites. There are things my Grandma used to make that I wished I'd had the forethought to pay more attention too. I figured this way the girls would have it recorded somewhere, along with those little "Mommy love additions" that make a recipe extra special.

anno - Thanks and me too. It could be my favourite day of the week. I know it is for my readership. Wednesday is always my biggest number day.

Heather - Nope, not at all. I had a recipe all ready to go, unfortunately Abby got sick and my attention was needed elsewhere. My intention was good though, no question.

qualcosa di bello said...

awesome!!! happy birthday...if i would have known i would have baked a cake!

this is such a great thing that i look forward to every week...thank you for 2 years of fun

Mommy Project said...

Ahhh...I just read "the post that started it all" and that pic. of Maya is so cute and it's amazing that a little, tiny, 3 year old Abby took it! Wow, they grow fast don't they?

Congrats on the success of WCW!

Merry said...

Happy 2 years! WCW is becoming ingrained with me now too. Let's see if I keep it up after I go back to work. :)

Shan said...

Bello - thanks and you're welcome. I appreciate you playing along.

Mommy - she really took to the camera when she was around three. Just picked it up and new how to use it. She takes not bad pictures most of the time.

Merry - thanks, I hope you do to.

Shan said...

Bello - thanks and you're welcome. I appreciate you playing along.

Mommy - she really took to the camera when she was around three. Just picked it up and new how to use it. She takes not bad pictures most of the time.

Merry - thanks, I hope you do to.